Credit cards are declined by the patron’s credit card’s issuing bank. There are numerous reasons why credit cards decline. Everything from mistyped credit card information, to entering a different billing address, to exceeding the credit limit can cause a decline.
If a donor receives a decline the simplest action for them is to use another form of payment.
If the patron wishes to know the reason for the decline they can either:
- contact the bank who issued their credit card
- contact you and you can run a report on declined transactions within your Click & Pledge account to find the reason the bank has provided for the decline
- they can submit a support ticket to Click & Pledge for us to look up the reason for their decline, When contacting Click & Pledge, the patron needs to provide their full name, amount of donation, and last 4 digits of credit card for us to look up the transaction.
In the case that you do not see the patron on your declined transaction report and/or you did not receive an email of the transaction, then it may have been blocked by our fraud detection system. If this happens please create a ticket asking for information on the transaction. Please include the donor's name and the last 4 digits of the credit card number so that we can find it easily.
How to run a report on declined credit cards. After you login to your Click and Pledge account at https://portal.clickandpledge.com/
- Click on Account Info in upper right corner
- Click on Reports
- Click on Search and Download tab
- Select a report type. The “declined reason” column in included in the Detailed, Consolidated, and Quick System Reports
- Under ‘Search by Report Type’ select Declined Credit Cards
- Select beginning and end dates for report
- Click Search Transactions button
- You will see a summation of declined transactions, then you can click Export button to download or save the report to your computer.
You will see summary of transactions by month. Click Export to download the report.